Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Journal of a Challenge

Double Dub checking in
As I start this entry, I've finished my second dub on day two. Although my GPS failed yesterday it did get 14 miles out of it (I'll cry about the missing miles in the end). So, lets call it 34 miles. I started this challenge because I was disappointed with my miles count from August (120 miles). I was hoping to be closer to a thousand. Not only that, I dropped a position (or two) on a miles challenge we set up on endomondo as well. Motivated!!! Yes! Oh, why thirteen days? Yeah, It's my birthday. But after some thought, I was thinking that's a lot of pressure! If I fell short on a couple of rides, I'd have to make that upon other rides. I would've ended up with some 30 - 40 mile rides. That wasn't gonna happen. So, I gave myself the month (but I'm still going to try for 13).


Day 2: Ride 2 ~ The LA River Trail (from Riverside Dr. and San Fernando Rd to Riverside Dr. and Zoo Dr., 7.5 miles) Round trip 15 miles plus an extra loop from Fletcher Dr., 5 miles.
I started about 5:30PM from Fletcher Dr. and decided to head North first. I tracked this to 5 miles to the turnaround. For the first couple of miles, you can still see the beauty of this river. After that you're on the side of I5, yup! Interstate 5! It gets windy and Hot here. And the headwind you get when you come back, forget about it. Cars and Big Rigs, if they're not zooming by, they're giving off a lot of heat! Not to mention a few homeless camps and horses. Uh-huh! It's not THAT bad but thought you should be warned.
The route South is a little different. It cuts behind an industrial area and then into a neighborhood. The LA River, for the most part, is pretty nice! Occasionally, you might see a party of kayaks in the water. On the trail, you'll cross some families out for a stoll, some folks fishing, and up and down this trail, Bikes! To make the miles, I carved the Southern trail twice.
This and the little trip back to my car ~ 20.68 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment